Animal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animal Forums

For animal lovers (dog, cat, horse, hedgehog, rabbit, hamster, fish ect)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rattie Nutrition

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pumpkinsmama
pumpkinsmama

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 5:51 am

As you all know, nutrition is important. Thought i would start a topic and find out what people are feeding their rats.

I currently have 5 ratties. i feed them the Shunamite diet (google it). Its a mixture of museli, nuggets, dog kibble, cereal, pasta and other various bits. They also get chicken, boiled egg, fresh fruit and veg and other treats.

Feel free to post your nutrition here and any questions you may have.
Back to top Go down
SS Meerkat
SS Meerkat

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:29 am

Another follower of the Shunamite diet here, I make up a weekly mix consisting of lots of different cereals, dog kibble, wholemeal pasta, seeds, dried berries veggies & fruit added to the main base mix which, along with most of the ingredients mentioned I order from http://www.ratrations.com/. I also recommend The Scuttling Gourmet for lots of useful info on feeding rats at various stages of their lives Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StephyT

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:41 am

Not a rat owner myself but I do love the Shunamite style diet thumb

I even have a copy of the Scuttling Gourmet I enjoy a good read of

In case no-ones noticed I am a bit of food geek Embarassed
Back to top Go down
pumpkinsmama
pumpkinsmama

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 am

SS Meerkat wrote:
Another follower of the Shunamite diet here, I make up a weekly mix consisting of lots of different cereals, dog kibble, wholemeal pasta, seeds, dried berries veggies & fruit added to the main base mix which, along with most of the ingredients mentioned I order from http://www.ratrations.com/. I also recommend The Scuttling Gourmet for lots of useful info on feeding rats at various stages of their lives Very Happy

Ive heard that site is pretty good for getting the mixes in bulk from. Is there much difference between wholemeal pasta and regular pasta? And dried berries would be a nice addition to my mix.

StephyT: Yes i noticed LOL. Feel free to correct me if im wrong about anything i say but i have studied nutrition although im still learning. Im glad your a fan of Shunamite, its awesome.
Back to top Go down
StephyT

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 am

pumpkinsmama wrote:

StephyT: Yes i noticed LOL. Feel free to correct me if im wrong about anything i say but i have studied nutrition although im still learning. Im glad your a fan of Shunamite, its awesome.

Animal nutrition is something i'm very passionate about. I did a First Diploma in animal care, although food wasn't a big part of the course i've taken up alot of my own time researching deep into animal nutrition.

For the record if I had rats, the shunamite diet would be the way i'd go, or at least some variation of it anyway. Alot of it is about making up your own mixes out of straight grains now which is all in the 2nd edition of the scuttling gourmet, which is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. I think it is one of the most important tools every rat owner should have
Back to top Go down
pumpkinsmama
pumpkinsmama

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 9:13 am

StephyT wrote:
pumpkinsmama wrote:

Animal nutrition is something i'm very passionate about. I did a First Diploma in animal care, although food wasn't a big part of the course i've taken up alot of my own time researching deep into animal nutrition.

For the record if I had rats, the shunamite diet would be the way i'd go, or at least some variation of it anyway. Alot of it is about making up your own mixes out of straight grains now which is all in the 2nd edition of the scuttling gourmet, which is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. I think it is one of the most important tools every rat owner should have

I took National Diploma in Animal Management. Only did a small part on nutrition. My speciality is behaviour rather than nutrition.

Where can you get that book? I shall have to have a look.
Back to top Go down
StephyT

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 am

pumpkinsmama wrote:

I took National Diploma in Animal Management. Only did a small part on nutrition. My speciality is behaviour rather than nutrition.

Where can you get that book? I shall have to have a look.

The rat warehouse always used to sell it, haven't looked to see if they do the 2nd edition though. Or you should be able to get a copy direct from Alison at Shunamite rats there will be details on the shunamite website I'm sure
Back to top Go down
pumpkinsmama
pumpkinsmama

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 am

I shall have a look tommorow, its on my to-do list Very Happy

thumb
Back to top Go down
SS Meerkat
SS Meerkat

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 am

pumpkinsmama wrote:

Ive heard that site is pretty good for getting the mixes in bulk from. Is there much difference between wholemeal pasta and regular pasta? And dried berries would be a nice addition to my mix.
The wholemeal has more fibre, not that it's really important as rats don't need high fibre foods, but I do prefer giving them the wholemeal over regular as I worry about their weight
Back to top Go down
Emylourow

Emylourow

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 am

Shunamite for my boys, with yummy fresh fruit and veg and other naughty and nice treats. I have requested that Santa leave a copy of the Scuttling Gourmet in my stocking this year thumb
Back to top Go down
pumpkinsmama
pumpkinsmama

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 4:04 am

Im currently saving up to buy it, really want to read it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rattie Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattie Nutrition   Rattie Nutrition Empty

Back to top Go down

Rattie Nutrition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Animal Forums :: Small Animals :: Rat/Mouse Section-
Jump to: