Animal Forums

For animal lovers (dog, cat, horse, hedgehog, rabbit, hamster, fish ect)

HomeCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kitty Nutrition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pumpkinsmama

PostSubject: Kitty Nutrition   Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:17 am

While studying animal management at college, i was taught to calculate the nutritional values of the cats needs and what we feed them. If anyone needs any advice or anything, im pretty good with feeding cats.

I feed my cats on Go-Cat and change varieties every now and again. They also get a small amount of wet food and chicken also.

I would be interested to know what other people feed their on and why?
Back to top Go down
StephyT

PostSubject: Re: Kitty Nutrition   Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:17 am

I'm not a fan of dry food for cats, and even less of a fan of commercial ones.

If I ever get a kitty it will either be fed a very high quality wet food with bone meals for dental hygiene, or on a prey model raw diet, including whole prey items.

I will never feed any food available in the supermaket purely because they are full of rubbish. No real meat content and full of nasty fillers like cereals and grains that are not healthy and they do not need. Cats cannot utilize carbs very well and carbs have been linked to feline obesity, diabetes, kidney disease and other health problems.

Cats are also not big drinkers so being fed a dry food diet they are not getting the moisture they need, which can cause the urine to be more concentrated leading to urinary tract problems.

I will never be a fan of commercial, processed petfood as a good 90% of the products in the industry are all made out of the leftovers and rubbish that cannot be used in human consumption. Commercial petfood is their way to make a profit off these leftovers instead of paying to dispose of them. It may shock you to know that alot of common brands are owned by Mars, who own Pedigree and alot of other petfood names.

There are some good companies out there who use human grade meat sources but they are few and far between

I personally would not be happy feeding a cat anything that contains any rubbishy ingrediants, cereals, meat derivatives or cheap fillers.

Disclaimer: Just MY opinion, I do not judge others based on what they feed, or force my opinion on others, this is just my personal opinion Smile

Back to top Go down
pumpkinsmama

PostSubject: Re: Kitty Nutrition   Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 am

Wet cat food doesnt work for my cats. They like it but it disagrees with their stomach. I cannot afford to pay for very expensive food and Go-Cat is one of the best comercial diets that their is. James wellbeloved or proplan are also good diets in my opinion as they provide what the cat nutritionally needs.

My cats, although on dry food, have 24 hour access to water via a petmate fountain. They drink a lot but they also seem very happy.

I see np problems with what i feed my cats as theyre all happy and healthy.
Back to top Go down
StephyT

PostSubject: Re: Kitty Nutrition   Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:27 am

pumpkinsmama wrote:
Wet cat food doesnt work for my cats. They like it but it disagrees with their stomach. I cannot afford to pay for very expensive food and Go-Cat is one of the best comercial diets that their is. James wellbeloved or proplan are also good diets in my opinion as they provide what the cat nutritionally needs.

My cats, although on dry food, have 24 hour access to water via a petmate fountain. They drink a lot but they also seem very happy.

I see np problems with what i feed my cats as theyre all happy and healthy.

Like I said that is merely my OWN opinion, if you and your cats like the Go Cat then thats your choice/decision, but have you ever stopped to read the label?

For example: Go Cat Adult Duck, Rabbit and Chicken
Cereals Meat and Animal Derivatives (Min 25% Including Min 4% Chicken, 4% Rabbit and 4% Duck) Vegetable Protein Extracts Oils Fats and Minerals, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Yeast, Minerals

First ingrediant is cereals....so the bulk of the food is cheap, low quality cereal which is of no benefit, merely a cheap 'filler'

Second is meat & animal derivatives.....minimum 25%.....of which a minimum of 12% is 'guarenteed' to be rabbit, chicken or duck. Which is very poor quality. Meat & animal derivatives - This is a generic term for animal proteins that can sourced from any animal. It also means it is all the leftovers so skeletons/heads/feet/skin etc of animals that cannot be used in the human food industry. So although it is an animal product there is very little actual meat left on the carcasses at this stage.

So when you look into it, its what, cereal with an animal flavoring? Its really not good they get to put that rubbish into pet food and get away with it, it sickens me Sad

I am not judging you for your choice on how to feed your cats, they are your cats and you do what you feel best for them. But i'm just trying to show you what i know to be true as I know when I got my dog I really appreciated people sharing there opinions with me as the trusth about petfood isn't a good one
Back to top Go down
pumpkinsmama

PostSubject: Re: Kitty Nutrition   Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

I understand where you are coming from but some of us (me) cant afford to feed them a really good diet that isnt comercial.

What would you suggest? Im open to options.
Back to top Go down
StephyT

PostSubject: Re: Kitty Nutrition   Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:47 am

pumpkinsmama wrote:
I understand where you are coming from but some of us (me) cant afford to feed them a really good diet that isnt comercial.

What would you suggest? Im open to options.

You've said wet food is an issue with your cats tums and I'm not sure you'd be into feeding them chicken wings for dental hygiene so I'd just suggest going with a better dry food if that's what your comfortable with. One like James Wellbeloved or Burns are okay. They aren't as good as others available but they are a lot better than Go Cat etc and I think price wise is quite reasonable. Its something I'd be happy to feed if I had to. My dog has been on jwb cereal/grain free the last few months as I couldn't afford orijen and he's done fine on it. To be honest he'd eat anything its me being fussy that's the problem!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kitty Nutrition   

Back to top Go down

Kitty Nutrition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Animal Forums :: Cat Section :: Cat health-
Jump to: